Wednesday, 5 March 2014

Lent


It was pancake day yesterday (let's just say what a disaster but I had one good one) which meant today was the first day of Lent. This is my third year of giving up chocolate and each year me and Emma have faced the struggles together. 

Katie what are you thinking?!? 
I know, I know, I'm giving up the most vital thing for female life form and I adore chocolate so much just like all you other females but it's nice to give yourself a challenge. Don't get me wrong there are times when I question myself but afterwards your body feels fresh and cleansed in a weird way. 

So why do I do it? 
It's nothing religious purely just the challenge. I won't go into detail about religion because I don't wish to share my views but some people out there might think lent is just for religious people-wrong. I see it as a chance to prove to yourself you can stick to something if you work hard at it. And then there's always the reality of omg I eat way too much chocolate! I would never have done this if Emma hadn't pushed me to 2 years ago. Doing it with a friend is the best thing because you can both be grumpy together and cry about how much you need chocolate- no you keep each other going. 
Like I said before it feels like you've cleansed your insides. I always try to replace when I would've eaten a bar of chocolate with something healthy. Doesn't always work because the biscuit tin and cake tin calls but the thought is there. 

The first day of lent is over and hasn't been bad at all. I'm sure tomorrow I will be having some major cravings but as time goes on my body will adjust to the cocoa free stomach. Turning down chocolate when offered will be the hardest but if I could do it before I can do it again. 

I look forward to keeping you up to date on how lent is going. I think expressing how much I am in need of chocolate in a couple of weeks time on here will be my coping method. If I don't post my body has reacted badly and they are giving me chocolate on a drip in hospital.